harry potter vs twilight 1000 Reasons Why Twilight Is Better Than Harry Potter

lauracullen66 posted on Aug 27, 2009 at 01:32PM

i'll go first

1. The main character is much much easier to relate to.

harry potter vs twilight 2632 balasa

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 1251-1300 of 2632

lebih dari setahun yang lalu ThePrincesTale said…
Cassie, what flaws does Edward have? And Bella, for that matter?

And there is actually more love in HP. Very strong family love, close friendship love, parent-child love (Lily was BEGGING Voldemort to kill her instead of Harry) unrequited love (as in the tragic love story of Lily & Severus Snape, which Harry only finds out about until the very end). The CENTRAL THEME is about Love, and how it is the most powerful magic in the universe, how Love always triumphs over Hatred, the value of Tolerance, to name a few. Love means so much MORE in HP, not the puny obsessiveness and teenage lust in Twilight.
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
Plus, Love doesn't just have to mean romantic love, indeed there are other forms of Love just as strong.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu jodarchy said…
edward does clearly have flaws, but he is constantly described as perfect, then said to have flaws which is a contradiction, nobody and nothing is perfect, perfection does not exist in any form it is an unnatainable goal
lebih dari setahun yang lalu GemonkDruid said…
Edward does have flaws, but Bella doesn't think so, and neither does the author. :P
what flaws? Name 2
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DracoLuver said…
*Exactly! Edward has flaws, but Stephenie nor Bella see it! I''m sure if he HAD flaws, people would recognize them. If Edward is too stubborn, we should SEE that when other characters tell him that they don't agree with him, but he goes along anyway. Telling us he has flaws and naming them does nothing. Another thing, no one is perfect. You don't like someone because they are perfect. You like them because you see their flaws and choose to be with them anyway.
Also, youknowit, where'd you get your icon? It looks kinda like the pacman ghost-thingies! It's coolio! :D*
If Stephanie could not see Edward's flaws, that means he DOES NOT HAVE ANY, since she is the writer, and she created him.
^exactly dracoluver, everyone has to learn to accept others' flaws.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu youknowit101 said…
When you have a boyfriend, would you be constantly thinking about his flaws all the time?
not all the time but i would at least acknowledge that he did have some
*No, you wouldn't. When he is being rude, you'd think he's rude. You'd understand what things bug him. When he gets mad fast, you know he has a short temper. When he can't say "no" to anyone, you know he doesn't like hurting people, which causes other people to manipulate him. You realize that although this does happen, you still love him. You recognize his short temper, but love him anyway. You know he can sometimes be way too big-hearted, but you love him anyway. See? I'm not saying that you should be constantly thinking of things wrong with him, but you know what his flaws are. Bella does not understand that. She thinks Edward is PERFECT! She does not admit that he can be too controlling or stubborn at times! Oh, and answer my question!'*
lebih dari setahun yang lalu cassie-1-2-3 said…
Here's my previous post stating flaws as a theme

"Flaws: It is very mature to accept others and all their flaws. (I'm unsure about this in Harry Potter. As far as I see, those characters only have physical flaws)

The charaters of Twilight have flaws. Some say this is a bad thing, but I feel it's the way stories should be. Edward is presented to be absolutely perfect in every way, but this is because the story is told by Bella's pov and she's crazy about him. (when it switched over to Jacob's pov, Edward looked like a huge jerk.), but Edward tried to show #ella his flaws.
Edward's flaw was that he took too much advantage of his own powers to force Bella to do what he wanted. also, being a little too selfless. Bella's flaw was being naive and blind to everything not Edward. They were both blinde to each other's flaws.

They both also make some bad decisions (my next point). All of these flaws cause the characters to be more like real people. Real people make mistakes.
Being too selfless is never a good thing. Putting absolutely everything so far ahead of yourself is damaging to yourself and all who care about you. "
lebih dari setahun yang lalu MephilesTheDark said…
Keh, that's true. Edward + Flaws = Not Edward.

Pages in the book: 492.
First hint of a plot outside of Edward and Bella's romance: Page 328.
When the Plot actually arrives: Page 372.
Boys that totally love Bella: 5.
References to Edward's beautiful face: 24.
Voice: 20. (The voice of an archangel, donchaknow?)
Eyes: 17.
Movement: 11.
Smile: 10.
Teeth: 8.
Muscles: 7.
Skin: 7.
Iron strength or limbs: 5.
Breath: 4. (EVEN HIS BREATH IS AMAZING!)
Scent: 4.
Laughter: 3.
Handwriting: 2.
Chest: 2.
Driving skills: 1.
The number of times...
Bella is clumsy or makes a referance to her clumsiness: 26.
Bella sneera at Forks or it's inhabitence: 22.
Bella is 'dazzled' or rendered speechless by Edward's beauty or touch: 17.
Edward tells Bella to stay away from him compleatly, contradicting himself with his behavior: 16.
Bella is utterly desolate at Edward's absence: 12.
Edward and Bella kiss: 8.
Edward's kiss makes Bella faint: 1.
Edward's kiss makes Bella's heart LITERALLY stop: 1!?
Bella thinks she isn't good enough for Edward: 6.
Edward is refered to as God-like: 5.
Edward tells Bella she's unnatural: 5.
Edward sparkles: 3.
Bella is in mortal danger: 3.
Edward saves Bella from mortal danger: 3.
Edward stalks Bella, for real: 2.
Bella and Edward argue about who loves the other most: 1.
Edward's inability to read Bella's mind is explained: 0.
Number of Rabid fans who actually think this is a literary masterpeice: 5,745,135,945,642,246,936,248,209,000+

You can't argue with maths, people.

^what are you talking about
How perfect the Twi-chara's are. :P And how no one in real life is that perfect.
You realize all that was just the first book, right? The saga is composed of four books. Not everything is going to be explained in the first book
^^^ but the basic facts should have been explained in the first book
@Cassie: Yeah, yeah, I know that. :P If it were to be the whole saga, most of the 'How perfect Edward is' numbers would be somewhere over 9000.
I still don't think there's anything wrong with having good thoughts about someone, or thinking about the same thing more than once.
there is nothing wrong with those things, but there is something wrong about describing a person as perfect about 800 times throughout a series
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Ninja-Kitten said…
One day I'll do the same for Harry Potter and see how the comparison works out :)
@Cassie: It's not all Edward. There is stuff in there that has no relation to Edward. I can see where you're coming from, though- I just thought getting some figures up would be good comparison.

@Jodarchy: Exactly. ^^ The whole book is basically repetition.

@Ninja-Kitten: Good idea. ^^
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
the entire hp series doesnt describe harry as the most perfect looking man to ever exist though kitty so it wouldnt be fair lol
Dude, youknowit, where did you get your icon! >.>
I was just wondering, did Seth imprint on anyone? I'm reading BD, and I'm at the part where she is about to rip Jacob's throat apart.
his icon is one of the ghosts from pacman lol
@DracoLuver: Don't think so. I haven't really read BD for about... a Year... So I can't remember well. Someone imprits on that toddler, but I can't remember who. *fails*
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Ninja-Kitten said…
@jodarchy, that's the point, we can compare the series! Seeing as we think HP is better, it would be fun :)
@Ninja-Kitten: Very true, it would be fun. xDD
yes but still lol do we really need anymore 1000 reason forums lol
*That was Jakey :P
Hm, okay, I shall look it up! 8)*
@jodarchy: I doubt it. xD
Thanks, youknowit! :)
"Flaws: It is very mature to accept others and all their flaws. (I'm unsure about this in Harry Potter. As far as I see, those characters only have physical flaws)"

Then you obviously haven't read harry Potter properly. There isn't one Harry Potter character who DOESN'T have a flaw. JK Rowling, unlike SMeyer, made her characters extremely realistic.
eg:
Harry: reckless, angry, acts like a hero
Hermione: Know-it-all, bossy
Ron: Jealous
Dumbledore: selfish, as a child.

Whereas Bella and Edward are the some of the biggest Mary Sue's/ Gary Stu's in literature.
Hopefully, you read my entire post, and didn't stop there..

What I really meant was those don't really seem to me as incredibly harmful characteristics. I just see them as traits.
Hm, well usually, Harry's anger makes his friends feel upset with him. He also acts too quickly without thinking which leads to Sirius's death. Dumbledore had to calm him down so much. He also has a people-saving-thing which gets them in very sticky situations, and it would have been better if he hadn't helped anyone at all.
Hermione's bossy attitude angers both Harry and Ron[along with all the other Gryffindors] and they wish she'd shuttup already. That's the main reason why she hadn't made friends before Hogwarts. Being a know-it-all is a bit annoying because she outshines everyone, which in turn, annoys everyone along with the teachers.
Ron's jealousy causes him to walk out twice when Harry needed him the most. [The first time, everyone accused Harry of being a lier, the second, he was hunting for horcruxes and would've gotten killed if it hadn't been for Hermione.]
Dumbledore was the reason why his sister got killed, and Grindlewalkd[the darkest wizard ever before Voldy] was so powerful in the first place. This caused his own brother to hate him, and later, he felt as if he had a lot to apologize for, and ended up being really lonely. Harry, after finding this out, starts getting angry because Dumbledore never really told him anything

By harmful - do you mean it causes them no harm, or that they seem quite innocent? ♡

To me, it makes them realistic. In any High School, there is the 'Hermione', the 'Harry', the 'Ron', so on and so forth.

With Harry Potter characters, you could easily take away all that wizard-ey stuff and magic, and they would slot very easily into any real-life scenario. The personalitys are belivable.

Wheras, in Twilight... If you took the 'Vampire' out of Edward, he'd be nothing. As a character, his whole story is based off him being a vampire. He's not independant, the way Harry Potter is.

Twilight - Vampire = Nothing.

Harry Potter - Magic = Real life.
"Edward's flaw was that he took too much advantage of his own powers to force Bella to do what he wanted. also, being a little too selfless. Bella's flaw was being naive and blind to everything not Edward. They were both blinde to each other's flaws."

You mean he abused Bella. Being a 'little too selfless' isn't a flaw. I know where you're coming from but I want some 'real' flaws, besides being an abusive Gary-Stu, not to mention a sparkly one at that.
Oh, and a great point, mephiles, without the vampire aspect twilight is nothing, while the Harry Potter series is extremely realistic.
You should try explaining why being too selfless is not a flaw, as I gave explanation to how it is. Otherwise, my point still stands. You can't just say "No, because I said so"

He was abusing his abilities, not Bella. His abilities gave him the advantage, not Bella's weaknesses. He could stop her from going to see Jacob becuase he had superhuman strength, not because Bella has small muscles. If he was of average strength, he couldn't stop her.

Abusing his abilities? Which would mean that he was abusing them by abusing her. He never thought he was doing anything wrong, which is just sick! He took out her engine, because he had super-human strength. Taking out her engine is abusing her. Therefore he did abuse her! In abusive relationships, one person is always dominet because they are more strong, more clever, etc.. which could be the same with Bella&Edward. x
82. There's less cursing in Twilight/ it doesn't get kids into cursing
lebih dari setahun yang lalu SuperSnuffles13 said…
Yeah, but there's also sex, so it gets kids into f*cking each other XD
lebih dari setahun yang lalu LoveforSeverus said…
^And besides, she usually says "he said a really bad swear word" OR something similar.
Yeah, but more "Holy crow!"
lebih dari setahun yang lalu SuperSnuffles13 said…
^ LOL yes. At least when they say "bloody" and "damn" it makes sense. And epic moment when Mrs. Weasley screams "B*TCH!!!!" Books wouldn't be teh same without it. *sigh*
Yeah, with the bitch word... Would you not say something worse if a crazy murder-person was about to kill your only daughter and your son was just killed? Yeah, I would.
"I SWEAR TO F*CKING GOD IF YOU DON'T GET THE F*CK OFF MY F*CKING DAUGHTER I'M GOING TO RIP YOUR SCROTUM OFF!" (Even though Belltrix is a girl... :/)
Bloody and damn aren't swear words, lol.

Bitch is, but Bellatrix deserved it.
There's isn't much cursing in Harry Potter, but I really hate where there was. It's one reason I really hate Molly.

In Twilight, they say Hell and Damn, but that's hardly severe or insulting.
smile
Yeah but again, cassie, your only daughter.... your dead son...

It adds character to the book.
Cursing is still never necessary.