doctor who Matt Smith, Verdict?

Jillywinkles posted on Jun 01, 2010 at 06:17PM
So what do you guys all think of him? Now that we've had a few episodes to judge him.

I get the feeling a lot of people like him, but is anyone besides me annoyed at how hyper he is and how he keeps snapping and clapping his hands all the time? I feel as though he's trying too hard to be smart. ie not quite believable...

I'm not one of those fans that has a crush on David Tennant, but I do think he was one of the best doctors. I've only seen Tennant, Tom Baker, Paul McGann and Sylvester McCoy so far, but imo Matt Smith is worse than all of them, acting-wise. Plot-wise, this is one of the best seasons yet.

Opinions?

doctor who 21 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu fremontdenver said…
he is really cute, i like him really good
him and four are my favs
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Malfaldahopkirk said…
well, let's face it. David Tennant is a tough act to follow.

I'm still a rather undesided when it comes to Matt Smith. Didn't really like him at first, but put that down to me being a fan of David Tennant's. I do think that he is getting better (or maybe I'm getting used to his style). His hand-clapping and the fact that he nevers stands up straigh rather bugs me. Does the man really have a haunched back?

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone sees him as being attractive!?! Thankfully the british are very good at choosing actors for their skills rather than (just) their looks. Somehow it doesn't detract from the show. A great personality or caracter will compensate for much.

But I do miss the quotes... in the new season I have yet to hear any lines worth quoting and putting on t-shirts
lebih dari setahun yang lalu mossheart1235 said…
We have to face the facts. David Tennant's talents CAN NOT BE SURPASSED

But I enjoy watching Matt Smith. He's very funny, considerate of Amy, but he sometimes shows his violent side, which is good, cause otherwise you'd have this happy man skipping around all the time and the point is, the Doctor has to have conflicting feelings.

And I agree with mafaldahopkirk. Brits just have this way of choosing actors for their talent, not looks. Except maybe David, cause, you have to admit, he's really cute. But the fact that Matt Smith isn't cute doesn't detract from the show. I mean, *SPOILERS* look at what Amy did in Flesh and Stone!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu marifrances said…
smile
I like Matt Smith's Doctor, and as an American, I like the fact that the British choose thier actors for thier talents and nott thier looks.

Maybe the producers and casting directers in the States should follow thier lead and hire actors that can act.

My favorites were the 4th, 6th, 7th, 10th and 11th Doctors, Well, Matt is becoming one of my favorites.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Vartell said…
laugh
This is the first Doctor Who, I've started to Watch, so my say doesn't really belong, But Having that said, he is the reason to watch.

Totally Funny
lebih dari setahun yang lalu ceraluv01 said…
I absolutely adore him as the Doctor, he's really quite marvelous honestly.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu musicfanaticXD said…
I think Matt Smith is doing a wonderful job - David Tennant was unbelieveable, so Matt Smith had some big shoes to fill.. It's only because people are still getting over David Tennant, who was just one of "those" doctors, that they are being a little judgemental of Matt Smith.

But I love him. He's funny and I like his sarcasm. We may never love him the way we loved David Tennant, but he's doing the roll proud.

And personally, I love the clapping, the hunching and the way he shouts at people when he's panicing.

And there are plenty of t-shirt worthy quotes! What about "I'm The Doctor, I'm worse than everyone's aunt." There are plenty of others.
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DalekSec said…
I think he's made the best of what he has to work with, but while Moffat et al. have penned some great episodes, I don't think they've given him a distinct persona. He's Tennant Mark II, except nobody's as good as David as being David.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Cinders said…
I was skeptical when they changed doctors in January (I always am). I was even skeptical when Eccleston left and they brought in Tennant. But I generally quickly warm up to the replacement doctor, and Matt Smith was no exception. I immediately liked him from the Eleventh Hour. I don't know why I always believe that I won't like the newer doctor, but I guess that's because I get so attached to the doctor before him! LOL!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu snoznoodle said…
I love him. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't try comparing him to David Tennant and try to be unbias but I do think he's wonderful. He's energetic, he's funny, he is absolutely mad. He's got his own little quirks like the bowties (which I am starting to think are cool), he seems like an old man even though he is the youngest Doctor ever. He's different to David Tennant, amazing in a different way. I think David Tennant is still my favourite but I'm loving Matt and everything about the new series - it's really refreshing actually. The plots are amazing, some of the best episodes yet. I was a little depressed after the first episode because absolutely everything changed - even the colour of the sonic screwdriver, but I decided to give it a chance and I absolutely adore everything about it.

I'm not one to focus on the flaws of something though, I figure if I love it then why think about it's problems? It'll just mean I'll enjoy it less.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu emmett said…
Matt Smith is the best doctor! I love him :)
I love the storylines and the new companian :) I agree to iamnatilovematt
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dennybird said…
The beauty of Doctor Who, and what makes it better than all current American tv (and I tortured myself with 10 agonizing minutes of the American version of "Life on Mars"- I need a sonic shower and a brain-wipe after that) is that the show never, ever stays static. No formulas whatsoever in the writing, concept, actors (yes, we love Elizabeth Sladen and other old timers) and style. After decades of marvelous portrayals by surprising casting choices (think Patrick Troughton) I have come to trust the BBC Whoniverse. There is nothing in my incredibly unique life (eating out of dumpsters and hanging out with rock stars and talking with the animals and cheating death a hundred times) that excels the mythology and amazingness and the madness of Doctor Who. It's way too easy (and arrogant) to imagine, when dissecting an actor's work, that we think we know how the good Doctor should be played. I find annoying bits with every actor who ever portrayed the Doc (don't call him that!) but I just ascribe that to just being part of the Doctor's character. I know it's a tv show but Doctor Who and his universe is real to me. I try to emulate the Doctor's cleverness and courage and compassion in my own life. Not easy. Let me put it this way - how would YOU - yes, you, smartypants, play the Doctor? Just try, for a minute or a day, to be a completely unique version of the Doctor. Seriously. Not - bloody - easy, mate.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Accio_Pandorica said…
smile
Well, to be fair, Matt Smith has got big shoes to fill, and in my opinion he's done a great job. He even has the POTENTIAL to be better than David. Not right now-granted, but he definitely has the talent.
As for his looks...I cant explain it, but there's just something about him which makes me think 'Ooft, he's fit..!'. I don't know what it is, but he's just gorgeous..!
Fave Quote:"Nah, I'll fix it, I'm good at fixing rot. Call me The Rotmeister. Wait..no...I'm the Doctor, don't call me the Rotmeister..." x
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dennybird said…
...and, by the way, I discovered some helpful tricks when trying to impersonate Doctors 10 and 11. My impersonations are terrible but that doesn't matter. For 10, I think (I'm not from the UK) Scot doing an English (slight cockney - just a hair) accent. Tennant virtually created a subtle and brand new accent. When imitating Doctors start with phrases identified with that Doctor. In other words, with Tennant, for example, try "what - what - WHAT..." (I can't stand the "allons y!" but it's easy to do.) Matt Smith, what a BEAUTY! Matt is easier than Tennant - think kind of a posh drawl and slightly drunk and go soft on the consonants - a lazy kind of talk. Seriously, I couldn't do Matt until I thought, a little bit drunk. I got way off the subject, please don't delete me.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu nortti said…
wink
To be honest at first I wasnt that keen on him, but he has started to grow on me and quite like him now.

Although I really hope that they manage to kill off that Amy and Rory at the start of next season, both are awful! I have to fast forward when she walks on, without a doubt the worst case of over acting ever!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Skiptastic2012 said…
I didn't like Matt at first but he's becoming one of my favorites. :) Also, I like Amy, she's grand.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu peterofware said…
sad
I have been watching Dr Who since the beginning. I think most of the Doctors have been great, some less so. Looking back at the older episodes they do look slow compared to the current generation - but they seemed good at the time. David Tennant is probably the best one although Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee run him a close second. I don't particularly like Matt Smith as the Doctor, but personally I think he is let down by the scripts which seem to be a bit childish and have lost the bite of the previous series.
In summary I am not enjoying this series, although I think the Amy Pond character is good. Sorry this is near the bottom of all the Doctor series and I may give up soon - come back David Tennant (or even Christopher Eccleston) please!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Jericho1895 said…
I think Amy is the best companion I've ever seen, I'm comparing here in every way to only the new series companions because they ALL beat the old companions if for nothing else but the lack of an ear-shattering scream of terror every time they see a dirty Kleenex. However I believe Smith is unadulterated crap as the doctor. He has his good moments like popping out of the cake and such, but as a whole he stinks.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu brijbee said…
smile
He's great!

I think David Tennant is a brilliant actor, but now with Matt, the show is more focussed on the episodes rather than David's various shocked faces.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu caitie_cool said…
the doctors popular line-"bow ties are cool" what more do i have to say. hes brilliant!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu sonicdoctorwho said…
crying
I was so sad when David left, but hes okay i guess.