Anaheim Ducks Teemu Is Back (01/28/08)

RinoaHatake posted on Jan 29, 2008 at 02:59AM
10-TIME ALL STAR TEEMU SELANNE TO REJOIN DUCKS

Anaheim’s Goal-Scoring Leader a Season Ago Signs One-Year Contract

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The Anaheim Ducks announced today that right wing Teemu Selanne has signed a one-year contract and will join the team for the remainder of the 2007-2008 season. Selanne, who was an unrestricted free agent, will practice with the team today and travel on the club’s eight-game, 15-day road trip (team departs Tuesday).

“It took Teemu several months to determine if he had the passion and determination to return to the NHL, and we are thrilled to have him back,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. “This is a player who scored 48 goals last year and showed no signs of slowing down.”

Selanne, 37 (7/3/70), scored 48-46=94 points last year with a +26 rating. He finished third in the NHL in goals, while ranking first in the league in power play goals (25) and tied-for-first in game-winning goals (10). Selanne also led the Ducks in goals, points, power play goals, game-winning goals, shots (257) and shooting percentage (18.7%). He became the oldest player in NHL history (36 at the time) to score more than 45 goals in one season. The 6-0, 204-pound forward added 5-10=15 points in 21 playoff games, winning his first Stanley Cup in the process. Selanne scored the game-winning goal in overtime of Game Five at Detroit in the Western Conference Finals, turning the series in Anaheim’s favor en route to a six-game series win.

“After skating at Anaheim ICE for the last few weeks, I feel the passion again to play hockey,” said Selanne. “Anaheim is the only place I wanted to play and I’m very happy that the Samuelis and Brian Burke have welcomed me back.”

A native of Helsinki, Finland, Selanne has scored 540-595=1,135 points with a +87 rating over his 14-year NHL playing career. A 10-time NHL All Star, Selanne’s 540 goals rank 27th in NHL history, fifth among active players. He has averaged 39 goals-per-year over 14 NHL seasons, with 88 goals over his last two campaigns. Selanne has played in 556 regular season games as a member of the Ducks, scoring 313-353=666 points. He is the club’s all-time leader in goals, plus/minus (+112), power play goals (110), power play points (266), game-winning goals (52), and overtime goals (5). He is currently three points shy of the all-time club scoring record, held by Paul Kariya (669).

Anaheim Ducks No balasa