house m.d. I've just finished translating this text, please look through!!!!

darkmana posted on Jun 20, 2008 at 07:45PM
I translated this from German into English and want you to have a look through and tell me, whether I have to change some words, grammar, spelling mistakes etc. or if I can leave it this way.
Thanks ^^

!!!!Contains spoiler of season 4!!!!

Huntington's disease

Also called: Huntington's chorea, chorea major or HD.

Disease's frequency: 5 to 10 sick persons per 100,000 people, therefore it belongs to the most frequent genetic caused neurological diseases. Until this day, Huntington's is an incurable hereditary nervous disease.
The disease is autosomal dominant transmitted, id est, if a parent is a (heterozygous) carrier, the possibility of transmitting the disease to his children amounts to 50 per cent. The sick-making allele (an allele is a gen's variant and every person has always 2 alleles, one from his mother, one from his father) is located on the fourth chromosome's short arm. The whole DNS (human's genetic make-up) consists of 4 bases, G (guanine), C (cytosine), A (adenine) and T (thymine) in different order. At this specific place, healthy people have a repeating sequence of CAG, which varies between 9 and 35. But sick people, who suffer from Huntington's chorea, have a lot more CAG repetitions at this place, approximately 36 to 250.
The more repetitions a person has got, the sooner the disease is going to break out. In addition, the number of triplets transmitted by the father are frequently higher than a maternal transmission.
In 4x8 “You don't want to know” Thirteen tells House that her mother had died of Huntington's and that she doesn't know herself whether or not she has it, too, because she hasn't been tested yet and don't intend to do so in the foreseeable future.
For her father not being the carrier, it's more likely that Thirteen posseses rather 40 than 250 repetitions and therefore the disease will break out later and take a milder progress. But, in the end, it's always a death sentence – the disease always breaks out and has always a severe progress.
When the first symptoms will appear differs from one person to another. Mostly, the break out takes place between the age of 35 and 45, but there are generally break outs between the age of 3 and 75.
The later the disease breaks out the milder the progress will be. Apart from this, much stress facilitates a faster course of the disease.
On average, it leads to death after 10 to 20 years. After 15 years, only around one-third of the affected people are still living, however, the progress of the disease can take up to more than 40 years. The most frequent causes of death are dyspnoeas and pneumonias due to choking.

Symptoms
The first symptoms are often athetosis and psychic symptoms. As athetosis counts, among others, unintended movements and akinesia later on. Facial expression, gestures and language will clearly be affected, the patient will have trouble swallowing, which can even lead to life-threatening complications.
Psychical troubles are, inter alia, inconsiderate and impulsive behaviour, depressions as well as suicidal behaviour, disturbances of memory and delusions. Later, mental abilities are more and more decreasing (dementia).

Diagnosis
A diagnosis can be made via PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction). The error rate is very small, it amounts only around 1%.
In the fourth season finale (4x16 “Wilson's heart”) Thirteen is being forced by House to have herself tested, because otherwise she'll get fired. So she does the test and it turns out that Thirteen really possess the allele for Huntington's chorea, id est, she inherited by her mother.

Therapy
The disease is neither curable nor can it be stopped in the long term. It can be slightly delayed by dosing the patient with vitamines as well as Riluzole.
Research is dealing with some substances, which are supposed to influence the disease's
progress positively. Stem cell research also seems to become interesting for this disease.

house m.d. 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu waldorf said…
I think it looks good, but english isn't my first language either so I'm not sure if you can trust me...