debat A Few Lesser-Known marijuana Facts

Cinders posted on Nov 06, 2007 at 07:29AM
A few marijuana facts obtained from link.

"Tetrahydrocannabinol is a very safe drug. Laboratory animals (rats, mice, dogs, monkeys) can tolerate doses of up to 1,000 mg/kg (milligrams per kilogram). This would be equivalent to a 70 kg person swallowing 70 grams of the drug -- about 5,000 times more than is required to produce a high. Despite the widespread illicit use of cannabis there are very few if any instances of people dying from an overdose. In Britain, official government statistics listed five deaths from cannabis in the period 1993-1995 but on closer examination these proved to have been deaths due to inhalation of vomit that could not be directly attributed to cannabis (House of Lords Report, 1998). By comparison with other commonly used recreational drugs these statistics are impressive."

Source: Iversen, Leslie L., PhD, FRS, "The Science of Marijuana"

Alcohol alone kills more people annually-- no, strike that, EVER-- than cannabis, and this is NOT because fewer people use cannabis:

"Marijuana was first federally prohibited in 1937. Today, more than 83 million Americans admit to having tried it."

Sources: Marihuana Tax Act of 1937

"According to the UN's estimate, 141 million people around the world use marijuana. This represents about 2.5 percent of the world population."

Source: United Nations Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, Global Illicit Drug Trends 1999

The Netherlands have legalized cannabis. As far as I know, there have been no complications with drug use in that country since the laws changed.

And finally, if Law and Order SVU has taught us anything, it's that the only reason marijuana was outlawed in the first place was because William Randolph Hurst and his paper mills were threatened by the hemp industry. ;o)
last edited on Nov 06, 2007 at 07:30AM

debat 5 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DrDevience said…
Standing Ovation!

Personally, I never liked the stuff. Tried it in my teens and hated the feeling. But I have always supported legalization.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DarkSarcasm said…
You rock, Cinders! =)
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Leonic said…
Interesting indeed. However, I believe in maintaining purity of body and mind, so I will never try the stuff. But outlawing it is ridiculous.
Freedom means the freedom to make foolish choices. If people are allowed to drink alcohol, there really shouldn't be able problem with Marijuana.
Money is most likely the motivation for the outlawing of it, but thats how things are.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu HugsnKisses said…
I am from the Netherlands and here we call weed/cannabis and marijuana softdrugs, there are are other drugs to worry about. You can't have an overdose by smoking cannabis and it certainly cant kill you - that is so funny. It's not healthy and can cause brain damages, but for that you have to smoke everyday and the whole day! Smoking cigarettes is deadlier. Cancer patients are sometimes advise to smoke cannabis.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Cinders said…
Since legalization/decriminalization of marijuana is my latest crusade...

Bump!