debat Implied but absent debates

harold posted on Aug 27, 2008 at 08:53PM
Those of you who've spent much time reading through the debate spot have read me grouse about "not much debate in the debate spot" before. In this forum thread, I'm going to call out various topics I've seen that people have posted material for, but for which no debate actually exists in the debate spot...yet.

Take it as an inspiration to start a debate, feel free to correct me if I've missed the debate (there is a LOT of material in the spot), or add the topics you've seen presented without an accompanying debate premise.

Debate topics implied by content in the spot
*****************************************­***­***­***­*
* Who should be elected for US President in the 2008 general election?
* Has the US' War on Terror been a success?
* Similarly, has the US' military action in Iraq been a success?
* Should sex education in public schools include teaching on abstinence?
* Is capitalism the best way to run a society?
* Should the present ability to get an abortion be changed?
* Is criticism of a country's government during wartime desirable?
* Is war a valid justification for diminishing the rights of the citizenry?
* Are evolution and creationism mutually exclusive?
* Has the US improved during George W. Bush's presidency?
* Is sexual orientation determined by genetics?
* Does the presence of faith preclude intelligence?

There are more. I'll add them as I see 'em.
save

debat 4 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu amazondebs said…
some of these i agree haven't been touched on as much however just taking the abortion debate for example has been done loads in forums, picks, articles and comments on links, videos and images as have a few other of these topics...or maybe i am misunderstanding you?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
Not explicitly, though. People will post an image propounding a particular view (or, more often, deriding another) with no explicit question/assertion being made. Absent an explicit topic, it's discussion and not debate. There's a spot for that - it's called internet opinions.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu amazondebs said…
if the content starts of a discussing where one person is talking about their opinions on one side and one person is talking about their opinions on the other side that's debate, no?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
I wouldn't call opinions debatable. A person's opinion is their opinion - that's not debatable unless you question their sanity. "You don't really think that!"

But my point is that there aren't explicit debates because there's no explicit debate question. If people don't know what they're debating, debate isn't possible.
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu