debat Why do all politicians flip-flop?

Cinders posted on Jun 24, 2008 at 05:48AM
So admittedly, I'm watching Stephen Colbert and he starts going on about Obama and his whole public financing flip-flopping. And he gives Obama "a wag of his finger" for "copying John McCain" who, Colbert adds, "was flip-flopping long before you were born, Obama!"

But he "flip-flops on flip-flopping" by giving Obama a "tip of the hat" for proving that he is, in fact, a politician.

Which got me thinking...

I remember four years ago, I was watching Independence Day with a friend of mine and I said, "Why can't Bill Pullman be our president?" Come to that, folks, why can't Harrison Ford (Air Force One) be our president? Or hell, even Luke Wilson (Idiocracy)?! I'd vote for Robin Williams (Man of the Year) any day!

The (or should I say "a") fault in American democracy is how much politicians need to pander in order to get the votes to get in office. I bloody hate pandering!!!

And... Aw, I've run out of steam. I'm too upset to say anymore, but...

Funny quote from my brother about George W Bush-- "He may lead the nation to Armageddon, but dammit he's going to stay the course no matter what!" It may be the wrong direction-- but at least he HAS a direction.

(Don't get me wrong-- I'm still voting Obama most likely come election day. Unless Bill Pullman randomly decides to enter the race. ;o) )
last edited on Jun 24, 2008 at 06:31AM

debat 3 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu kateliness2 said…
You know who I want as President? David Palmer from the TV show 24. He rocked.

I'm probably voting Obama as well. I'm not sure; I toy with the idea voting for McCain as I do respect him and agree with him on some issues. But I'm almost positive that I agree with Obama on more issues and that's what I "vote" (I can't really vote yet) based on.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
Politicians flip-flop for the same reason they make campaign promises: so that people will vote for them. Then, once they are elected, they can act on their own agendas. As long as a majority of their constituents don't agitate enough with their representatives to get them removed from office, they're then good to go.

Edit: I suppose I should explain the flip-flopping a bit more: most people pay attention to politicians the way they watch TV: that is, they tune in for a few minutes (a speech, a sound bite on the news) and then tune in on something else. By flip-flopping, the politicians can make a good impression on some of the people all of the time, thus playing the spread for votes.
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DrDevience said…
Call me jaded, but I don't think it makes a rat's ass of difference who gets elected in the USA. There is an agenda pulling the strings and PotUS is just a figure head.

I think Bill Pullman is the only man who can turn it around. I'm writing him in!