Critical Analysis of Twilight "Twilight" Vs. "I Kissed A Zombie"

Cinders posted on Oct 08, 2009 at 04:08AM
I stumbled across this new book coming out in January which strikes me kind of as the "anti-Twilight" in a way. It involves a girl falling for an undead guy, similar to Twilight, however this undead guy is a zombie.

Vampires, however, play a big role in the story-- their douchebags.

I'm not kidding. link.

I'm kind of interested in this new novel because it seems to tackle an issue in teen literature that I think is worth discussing-- first loves, and how serious they really are. Alley (the main character) has dreams and aspirations of ditching her small town, until she meets Doug, who she thought was just dark, but it turns out he's four years dead.

"Dating a 'post human' is a status symbol", according to author Adam Selzer. All the girls at Alley's school are dying to date a vampire or zombie, so much so that guys "who would normally be wearing backwards abercrombie hats are going for the goth look." [link]

Sound familiar?

The video shows a mock pamphlet for teenagers, similar to sex ed pamphlets promoting abstinence, which asks the question, "Should I convert?"

Obviously, conversion is a all-too-clear metaphor for sex. But it did remind me of Twilight, and the allure of Edward, and Bella's desperation to be turned into a vampire.

I hope that, in this story, Alley and Doug figure out a solution to their problem that doesn't end in a half-zombie baby whose named after their parents.

Critical Analysis of Twilight 8 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu wsmithers1974 said…
I think the author read your post - he put this on that site: "some have said that "converting" is a metaphor for sex, but it really isn't. I don't think deciding to have sex is as big or as bad of a decision as deciding to be dead."

You can see the whole pamphlet on the "extras" page on link
lebih dari setahun yang lalu renrae said…
I will need to read this book.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Mrs-Grint said…
A definition of a zombie to me is - A rotting undead corpsy-thing that is very slow and stupid and can mutate people into other zombies by biting and scratching them.

Who'd want to do it with THAT?!?!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Cinders said…
Have you ever seen Nosferatu? That's how most people used to define vampires. Who would want to "do it" with link?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu snoznoodle said…
For someone who keeps a copy of the Zombie Survival Guide handy I have a little difficulty understanding wanting to date something which is more interested in eating your brains. Or Nosferatu Cinders. Well I think this says it all:

"Feelings of any kind are not known to the walking dead. Every form of psychlogical warfare, from attempts at enraging the undead to provoking pity have all met with disaster. Joy, sadness, confidence, anxiety, love, hate, fear - all these feelings and thousands more that make up the human "heart" are as useless to the living dead as the organ of the same name."
-The Zombie Survival Guide, page 15

Ok so this guy may have a different interpretation... just like Meyer's vampire's sparkle and eat rabbits. This bases it's work on "real" accounts. Anyway I'm gonna take this more seriously lol. I don't want to date one. Actually I think there's a section about trying to have a relationship with zombies. I'll try find it lol.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Cinders said…
That's just it, though. The author describes this book as a "Halloween special" of his own. It's supposed to be a little creepy.

I'll buy it. Meyer's vampires were sparkly and (practically) invincible, which is ridiculous. Also, keep in mind, that vampires are referred to as "the undead." Romanticizing them is only a recent occurrence.

I haven't seen this tackled with a zombie before, but I see parody in it, which is one reason I'm interested in picking it up. If you watch some other videos, they're almost funny.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu wsmithers1974 said…
This is out now.
Kirkus says its a "scathing parody."
lebih dari setahun yang lalu SimplyLaurel said…
It sort of sounds like it's supposed to parody Twilight.

In any case, *shudders* I'm terrified of zombies. I think I'll skip that book, funny as it sounds.