Alex Pettyfer & Jake Abel I Am Number Four - My Spoiler-Filled Review

stephanie26 posted on Feb 20, 2011 at 01:02PM
This is a review intended for people who have seen the film already. This can also be read by people wishing to read about an incoherent review of the film that doesn’t give you an overall look at the film.

The movie got better and better as it went on.

I was entirely lost with the opening, partly because I didn’t realize it was the opening until 3 minutes in and also because everything was so dark. Plus I spent some time sitting there trying to think of how the directors shot the opening sequence. Probably CGI…

The Florida beach scene seemed sort of stupid, and made me think of the protagonist negatively, as though he was some jock prick. I should note that the way Alex Pettyfer looks in this movie sort of reminds me of Ben Affleck. Just saying.

The scene where “Number Four” wakes up after passing out is relatively confusing as well. The explanation of who this guy is and what his story is doesn’t come until after the next scenes.

From there on, the movie gets better. Humour begins to present itself and the audience is sent through the eyes of a teen at a new high school school. Oh, might I also note that “Number Four” is supposed to be 15 years old? Pettyfer is 20, passes as 20 but definitely not anything lower than 17.

Inevitably, “Number Four”, who I’m now going to refer to as John, goes through the average teen’s “falling for a girl” drama. That girl would be Sarah, played by Dianna Agron (Quinn from Glee). To my surprise/interest, Sarah is into analog photography. She was using a Nikon F-series! Her room filled with camera equipment made me go nuts with jealousy. I still need to get new film and get my used rolls developed.

John’s encounter with Mark, the quarterback and home-coming king of the school, is well played. It appears as though it could go either way, as though John could quickly become the enemy of Mark or as though John might join Mark’s crowd. It’s implied that Mark is a mean jock however. His past relationship with Sarah, who becomes John’s girlfriend, puts Mark and John at ease, which is given.

Sam, a science nerd who lives a dreadful life at school and with his stepfather, becomes John’s right-hand man, an unlikely pair but breaking boundaries.

I am generally not phased by scary scenes, but my friends tell me otherwise about several of the scenes from the movie. And so does the individual behind me who screamed out loud at one of the lesser scary scenes. So, just be aware. The worst scene for me was probably the Haunted Hayride. It was filled with suspense and foreshadowing of sorts, even if the events didn’t deal with the real antagonists.

The mysterious Number Six was an interesting twist to the plot. At first you might have thought that she was a rogue bounty hunter of some sort, but the destruction of Number Four and his protector’s previous appeared to be a move beneficial to the two.

Given that this was a film co-produced by Michael Bay, the fight scenes and ultra-large explosion at the end were a given. Yay for a destroyed school~.

I’m trying to think of other things to talk about for the film… the book is out, written by “Pittacus Lore”, a pen name for two British writers. There’s a series for the novel, regarding the Lorien Legacies and I guess Book 2 is still in the making. I really need to get to Barnes & Noble soon to pick up this book and twenty others I have on a list that keeps growing.

I read the first few pages and already there are differences from the film. Which I guess is a good thing.

That’s really all I have to say right now for the film. It was good and I really liked it, as do my friends. Go watch it if you can.

Alex Pettyfer & Jake Abel 2 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu stephanie26 said…
smile
In the article, it says Jake's character, Mark, is well played in movie, love it:D
lebih dari setahun yang lalu ForsakenMoon19 said…
cool
He was, just the end they kinda let his connection with John fall back a bit but Jake has tons of chemistry with Alex in the movie!!!!! I loved all their scenes, you really understood a little about Mark's anger but again the writers shouldve spent more time with the character. Actually the writers of the film didn't concentrate on John's connections with Sarah, Mark and Sam as they shouldve but again there might be an extended cut of the movie for things that didn't make sense. I will still watch it again and I love all the stars plus I'm gonna continue reading the books!!! Stephanie26 I'm sure u will like it just u may dissapointed with certain things as well.