menulis Addressing the reader? Opinions Please!

twilight_23 posted on Jan 18, 2010 at 12:18AM
I'm sure we've all heard it from a literature/writing teacher at some point in our lives, "Never address your reader! That's one of the most dangerous things in writing you can do!" Well, I'm here to ask your opinion.

Earlier this year I wrote a persuasive essay for my English teacher. In my opening paragraph I addressed the reader (usage of "you"). When I wrote it, I knew what I was doing. Yes, it can be dangerous, but, I wanted to appeal to my reader's senses. Numerous points were taken off for that...And I'm okay with it because I like the way it sounded. But, I want to know what others think about it.
Here is the beginning of my paper (I wrote about the government in the US wanting to eliminate summer vacation. I argued against it.)

Do you remember that feeling you'd get on the last day of school? Remember how excited you'd be to finally get to do those summer things like ride bikes with your friends, stay up all night planning pranks, and chasing down the ice cream man after dinner? These are just a few of my favorite memories from those long summer days. Now picture this. It's a beautiful July day, perfect to spend a few lazy hours by the pool, but instead you'll be in school. Okay, sure you could come home and relax in the sun or take a walk with the kids next door. Think again, you'll have homework to do and tests to study for. But when will you have time to be a kid? That's what I'm questioning.

And then it goes on to tell you that the US government wants to get rid of summer vacation and why I believe it's a terrible idea. But I won't bore you with that. I would LOVE to hear your opinion on my usage of "you." Do you think it was worth loosing a few points? Or was I being stupid? Don't hold back, I won't mind if tell me my writing sucks and I'm an idiot for addressing the reader. I'm just extremely curious as to what others think about the situation.

I posted my entire essay as an article, here's the link if you're interested:

link

Thanks for reading:D
last edited on Jan 23, 2010 at 02:01AM

menulis 5 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu sweetpea92 said…
smile
i think it depends on what type of piece you are writing. using "you" in a persuasive essay or in a novel even seems fine to me. i dont think it would be a good idea in an analysis or something though. hope that helps...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu twilight_23 said…
smile
Thank You, that helped a lot! (:
lebih dari setahun yang lalu alice_cullen_12 said…
big smile
That was really good. I actually would like to hear the rest! And using "you" is good with the way the article is written. Usually English teachers like to have their rules and their rules only, and to keep you in the box. It's easier for them. I should know, my mother is an English teacher. (Ughh!!!) Good job!
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu twilight_23 said…
big smile
Thank you so much! Maybe I'll post the rest as an article:D
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Jisbonsessed said…
cool
Heyy! I didnt find anything wrong with using "You" in that paragraph. I`ve always thought when people are giving lectures or having a debate that they always use you, at least on Tv it does:D

I don`t see how you could`ve gotten marks taken off you for this, really i cant but I hope she/he graded you fairly on this!

Great job! xx