menulis "The Princess Secret Admirer"

Will_NolanLover posted on May 29, 2009 at 10:53AM
Hey guys. as you can tell from the title i'm making a story called "The Princess' Secret Admirer". But Before you read this Amagen your a pre-schooler again. Ok, here it is comment on how it is so far!!!!

Ch.1
The Lunch
Once upon a time, there once was a girl named Maggie. Maggie was a princess in the kingdom of Atlantis, not the underwater one. Well Maggie has a little anger issue, so when she gets angry, she goes for a walk in the garden. When Princess Maggie goes for her walk she always sees the man she loves, Prince Edward. Prince Edward, to her, is a loving, kind, gentle, handsome man. He is ever so kind to the animals; and the animals are kind to him. Secretly he wanted her as well.
When Princess Maggie was sad, she would stay in her room; if Maggie would not come to the garden, he would know what was going on, she was tired, depressed, or sad.
One day there was a knock on her door; it was her father, King Steven. When the King came in Maggie said “What are you doing here?”
He replied “We have new neighbors. They are the Walterman’s.”
“Oh, Yipey!” Maggie said.
“Hey, they’re royalty; just like us,” said the King. “We’ll be having lunch with them, tomorrow at Noon. You have to be there; wear your best cloths,” said the King. When the King left, Maggie lay on her bed and her mood was annoyed. In her mind she thought “I don’t wanna go. But I have to. Dad is counting on me. But I won’t be able to see Prince Edward. Uhhhhhhhhh! Why do I have to make so many choices!?”
Then the Princess got up to get her cloak; she went outside to the garden, she saw Edward, he was picking a flower. Princess Maggie went over to him and said, “Hey Edward, what are you doing?”
Then Prince Edward gave her a flower and said, “This is for you.”
Princess Maggie took it, “Thank you, thank you very much,” she said and blushed.
“So, when will you come out tomorrow?” said Edward.
“Oh, I have to meet with this new royalty family tomorrow for lunch,” said Princess Maggie. “I’m sorry.”
“That’s ok, I’ll go with you.”
“Are you sure you want to go? It’s only just for lunch, it won’t be any fun. I’d rather be her in my flower garden.”
“I’m sure. It’ll be fun. Trust me.”
“Ok,” said Maggie. “The lunch is at high Noon.”
“Ok I’ll see you there. Is it that new castle across from the bog?”
“Why, yes, yes it is. You are very clever Edward.”
“No, not really. I’m failing manners right now,” Edward replied.
“How can you fail manners? All you do is this ‘Please sir, pace jam and crumpets,’ fairly easy.
“It’s not when your me. I have a lot of “adrenalin rushes” these days.”
“Why’d you put quotes around adrenalin rushes?”
“Air quotes are cool.”
“Ya they are cool, aren’t they.”
 hey guys. as anda can tell from the judul i'm making a story called "The Princess' Secret Admirer". Bu

menulis 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
Very funny story!

I don't know which user Amagen is, but I also felt like this was aimed at pre-schooler kids, at least in the beginning. It had a very strong feel of a children's picture book, to me. Thus I imagined Maggie to be 4 or 5 years old, so it was a little strange to read that he wanted her secretly. OK, it wasn't just a little strange; it was creepy, making Prince Edward sound like a child molester. The way he appeared whenever she was in the garden made it seem a bit like he was an imaginary friend, though, which made it a good deal better for me. Given that, it will be really interesting to see how the adults interact with Princess Maggie when her invisible friend Edward tags along to the other castle.

Stuff I particularly liked:
* "Kingdom of Atlantis, not the underwater one" This had me laughing out loud. I can totally see that in a children's book! You should consider continuing that theme of repurposing common names to break reader expectations, such as: "Maggie pet Spot, her pet dog (the kind with a beak)." or "She picked up the book - it was long, sharp and pointy - and turned back to him" or "Maggie explained her reluctance to eat: 'I never eat cake, especially not when the eyes are still in'"
* "Oh, Yipey!" is great, sort of a sarcastic fear response.
* I like that the other castle is new, making it seem like it appeared magically overnight. That reinforces the fairy-tale-like nature of the story very nicely: the castle didn't take decades to build, but is new, specially made for the neighbors to move in.
* Edward's otherworldly aspect. Re-reading the story fragment, I like all the clues you've given that Edward is imaginary: that he appears in the garden only when Maggie is mad, that he is unceasingly kind and gentle, that he always knows when she is upset (because he's only around when she's upset), that he immediately asks when she will be out tomorrow even though she only just appeared. Very clever writing.

Stuff I'd like to see:
* I'd like to see examples of how the animals are kind to Edward. Do they talk in this world? Do they bring him presents, compliment him ("You're looking especially glorious today, sire!"), or what?
* I'm really interested to see who the Walterman is. He sounds like a cool villain, owning the neighbors (who are royalty!). That's really compelling. Or maybe he's not a villain, just different enough to be scary to the little Maggie.

Stuff to improve/watch:
* Gotta watch some of the spelling. While you may have meant the words you wrote, I suspect that for "cloths" you meant "clothes", for "her in my flower garden" I think you meant "here". "Pace" is more difficult; maybe "pass" would work? "When your me" should probably be "when you're me" (very cool double-meaning there, by the way!). Unless Maggie is speaking a foreign language, "Ya" should be "Yeah".

I like this, and want to see more.