menulis Tell Me What U Think

delta117 posted on May 28, 2009 at 08:15PM
is this a good idea for a series jack saint (a half angel) is a demon killer his father and mother were killed by a demon genral and he is half angel it is his soul mission in life to destroy the demon genrels half of satans army its name is the jack saint crhonicles
last edited on May 29, 2009 at 10:26PM

menulis 7 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
I really would strongly advise against calling the protagonist "Jack Saint", but if you can work out a good back-story for how he was raised to become a demon hunter without his family, then it probably would work. The other challenge would be to make it interesting across multiple stories: what character work can you do to make the action both varied enough for the audience to read more than one story (thus, a series) and still make sense for the character?

Why is he a demon hunter? On the one hand, you could draw out the pursuit of his parents' murderer into multiple stories, but you run the risk of each story feeling largely the same (depending on how much variety you can invest into the guy-hunts-demon, guy-fights-demon, guy-defeats-demon template) and the audience losing interest before the final battle. On the other hand, if the protagonist finds his parents' killer early on, what's his motivation for continuing as a demon hunter after his revenge is complete? What's to keep him from retiring and becoming a barista (assuming he craves coffee)? I guess it boils down to why is it his sole/soul mission to destroy half of satan's army?

It's a delicate balancing act. But it's certainly possible to do, and do well.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu delta117 said…
thank u please read it though before u critise
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
You asked for opinions of the idea; I gave them. When you provide something more to read, you'll get reactions to that, too, if you ask for them.

Just to elaborate on what I was saying before, let me give an example of the balancing act I mentioned. The film Terminator: Salvation is a pretty good practical illustration of the difficulty of audience interest vs. character motivation.

SPOILERS if you don't know the series, of course!

The Terminator series of films consist of a trilogy about time travel, in which a race of artificial intelligences are fighting a losing battle against humanity in the future. As a last-ditch effort, the machines create time travel and send a number of killing machines ("Terminators") into the past just before they lose the war. The goal in sending them back is to change the outcome of the war by killing the leader of the human forces before he becomes that leader. The films in the trilogy are marked with paradox, humor, some interesting character development as the protagonists are the only ones who believe that the world is going to end with machines killing almost everyone, and a fair amount of suspense. Fair enough.

Sometime after the third film, it was decided to continue the story into the "present", showing the post-apocalyptic war between man and machine, leading up to the final human victory over the AIs. The writers were faced with a choice: do we tell the story of how he became a leader, how the war developed, and so forth across three more films, or do we condense it all into one film to show John Connor discovering the time traveling machines right before winning the war? Terminator: Salvation is the first film in the trilogy, so you know which way they went. But the film is getting totally panned by critics because the film's focus on John's character development, while faithful to the character as an adult post-apocalypse, departs from the earlier films' trademarks, namely paradox, humor, some interesting character development as the protagonists are the only ones who believe that the world is going to end with machines killing almost everyone, and a fair amount of suspense. All the surprising stuff has happened in the past; in T:Salvation we're in the present, everyone knows that the war is happening, he's an adult, and the world is grim. That's true to the character and the plot, but the audience is mostly HATING it. That's an example of the kind of choice I'm talking about. I'm not saying to short-change character development in place of pace, but one needs to be aware of that balance/choice when writing a series.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu delta117 said…
i do look for the article hells angels
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Cullen-fan said…
smile
Its alright!Not my cup of tea, but it sounds good!!!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu megloveskyle said…
You should at least learn how to spell boring before you comment on other people's contributions. Mature.
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu 18wanda said…
Maybe. It soudns a little confusing summed up together so quickly, but it might get somewhere.