Witchcraft Blooming Pakis At Midnight?

TheCountess posted on Apr 23, 2008 at 09:46AM
I'm not exactly sure if this the right spot to post this story and question, but it's the closest thing I could think of...

When I was little, my Grandma used to tell me about a certain night. I thought it was St. Swithin's, but I may be wrong.
Supposedly, if you went in the woods and saw a special fern bloom at midnight, you would see the face of the devil. I think he was supposed to grant a wish or something like that.
It was so long ago, that I can't really remember much else, except that I always tried to stay awake that night. I was curious about it, and used to think about trying to sneek out to see if that would really happen. I always fell asleep though.
The only other thing I remember was that it would suddenly get cold and really windy that night. This was when the nights were normally really warm or hot (north of the equator). I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the story, but it used to happen every time.
For the life of me, I can't remember what the day really was, or the rest of the story.
Has anyone else ever heard of this, or know any more details?

Witchcraft 19 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DrDevience said…
This is ringing some very faint bells with me. After I get done with the great bridge photo hunt for chel's new spot, I'll have to see what I can dig up on this.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dazl said…
It sounds like St. John's Eve, June 23.

I took this from: link

"The nagging thought becomes irresistable when an inconsequential curiosity turns up over and over again, as is the case with the fern flower. All across the continent, there are ancient tales of the fern producing a magical flower that blooms only on Midsummer's (St. John's) Eve. The strange blossom variously bestows second sight, a vision of your future spouse, strength, moral fortitude, good fortune, or a brush with the little folk. In Russia, the summer solstice celebration is called Kupalo, and sure enough, the little flower is said to climb the stem of the fern to burst into bloom, on Kupalo's Eve. Kupalo comes from the verb kupati, to bathe, and mass baths were taken on Midsummer morning. Because the sun bathed by dipping into the waters on the horizon, some of its reflected glory might be realized by bathing in the light of the Midsummer dawn (not a bad idea for people who had spent the previous evening as they had -- leaping over the dying flames of a bonfire and driving their livestock through it). It is interesting to note that the "winter disease" -- Seasonal Affective Disorder -- is a brought about by a disturbance within the pineal gland of the brain when elevated levels of seritonin trigger depression. The herbal remedy, St. John's Wort (wort is the old Anglo-Saxon word for plant) has been a marketing bonanza, but research does seem to indicate that the Midsummer's day namesake really does have a salubrious effect on mild cases of depression."

I've seen variations of this in a few different countries, including Ireland, Spain, and Mexico,(I think).

Ringing any bells?
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu TheCountess said…
Thanks dazl! I'm not sure if that's it or not, but it definately sounds like a possibility... I know it was associated with some saint, and the time of year also makes sense.
My Grandma was of Polish & Russian descent, and she used to tell me a lot of different stories. Sorry to say, that was so long ago that I've forgotten most of them, and she's no longer around to ask. At least now I have one lead.

DrD and anyone else - any info, thoughts, sources or memories are more than welcome on this.
That's why it sounded familiar! Midsommarafton (Mid-summer eve) is possibly the biggest celebration of the year here in Sweden. The gals do indeed gather the flower and put it under their pillow that night, hoping to see their future mate.
Thanks DrD!
Since Mid-summer Eve is that big in Sweden, do you know if there's any truth to the part about it blooming at midnight?
Also, do the stories in Sweden have any reference to the devil in them?
As soon as Lars gets home from work I shall ask him.
I read one source mentioning evil, I'll try and find it again.
Found it,I think. It's a Lithuanian source, but this version doesn't mention the devil granting a wish.

"During the night of the Feast of St. John, the miraculous fern bursts into bloom. It is difficult to catch sight of this bloom, however this difficulty can be overcome by going to the forest the day before, cutting down a mountain ash, pruning the branches and cutting off the top. Then pulling the tree backwards, walk about one hundred steps without looking back, toward the side to which the cut tree fell. Look back after the hundred steps and then you will see the devil sitting stuck in the ash tree. The devil will ask for your help to get off the tree and for your help will tell you where to find the blooming fern. When you locate the blooming fern, ghosts will attack with butting horns whirlwinds will howl and cats will cry. Then take a cane made of mountain ash, draw a circle around you with it, spread a linen cloth and stop being afraid. The fern blossom will fall on the cloth. Some say that the fern bloom is like birch dust, others describe it as round and white like carp's scale."

link
wow! pretty good story... a lot more info than I ever heard from my Grandma. This has definately got to be the right day.
It's weird about the whirlwinds part too, since it always got really windy that night, and this story has the devil in it too.
I'll to have to mark it on my calendar, so I can see if it still gets cold and windy that night.
In the meantime, I wonder how many different versions of the story we'll discover. I'm curious to find out what Lars knows about it.

Thanks for all the info and links, dazl! :)
I started to post that last response a while ago, but got sidetracked by that last link.
It sure had a lot of info, and variations.
Some of it sounds like some of the stuff I've heard about Maypoles, and some of it seems like stuff I remember being in the original version of 'The Wicker Man' (with Christopher Lee).
It looks like I've aked a loaded question here. I'm going to learn a lot more than I ever expected about this day, and gladly doing so.
Again, thanks! :)
As to the connection with Maypoles, I can clear that up a bit.

In Scandinavia, May Poles are misnamed because they really go up June 23rd Eve as they are really part of the Mid-summer celebration rather than the May Day Fertility celebration.

This has always been so here, due to the flowers needed for those poles do not bloom until mid June.
Thanks, DrD!
I never knew most of this stuff... you and dazl are really giving me an education on it. :)
Anything that Lars can add?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Lars said…
I know only about the getting drunk and singing about the little frog
I don't think I've read or heard anything about that part... any more details?
I'm liking the sound of the Swedish version of this festival more and more...
I'll post some links...
Still looking for the Blooming Fern, but posted some stuff on the Frog song and stuff. HA!
Hmmm found a Russian reference kinda sorta:

"Finding the blooming fern can hardly be more difficult than finding the treasure itself. According to stories, at about midnight, from the wide leaves of the fern will appear buds which grow higher and higher, then quickly quiver, turn over and jump. At exactly midnight the bud matures with a crash and you will see the bright fire-flower. It is so bright you cannot look on it. An invisible hand plucks it away, doing what a human hand has yet to."

link

Their legend though is Day of Ivan Kupala, and is around July 7. Odd.

Thanks for the info and links DrD. :)
I still have to take a look at the ones you put in the Links section, but I link some of the stuff from the above site, and found this bit of info:
"Kupala is still celebrated much as it always has been, though now always on July 7th, the day of John the Baptist as set by the Orthodox Church."