the phantom of the opera THEY ARE MAKING A SEQUEL TO POTO!

Jareth_baby2010 posted on Dec 03, 2008 at 10:23PM
I JUST FOUND OUT THEY ARE MAKING A SEQUEL TO PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!!!!! ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER STATED IT WHEN HE WAS INTERVIEWED!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

the phantom of the opera 362 balasa

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 362

lebih dari setahun yang lalu Jareth_baby2010 said…
Ok. This sequel is going to be a musical, Not a movie which for some reason makes me happy. I hope ALW chooses not to do it because its called Love never dies and the phantom runs away to manhattan NY and starts a freak show and Raoul loses his job and becomes a drunk and chrsitne sings for the phantom again though she does not know its him then later she gets pregnant and it's either the phantoms or raouls...oh god...I'm sorry but I don't like the sound of it. Maybe ALW wil change his mind becasue like all the phantom fans are against it!!! Some even refuse to beleive it exists and totally ignore which I think thats what I going to do. The phantom of the opera is my favorite musical and ya know what? It shouldn't be ruined because ALW decided to make it a musical because some guy wrote the stupid book phantom of manhattan...ugh!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu pumbalove said…
Ha ha ha yay I love the movie soo much i have everything phantom of the opera!!!! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I CANT BELIVE IT AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­YYY­...­I sound so stupid but im crazy for phantom of the opera.. this is awsome.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dragonrider said…
how do you know? Where did you hear this?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu JustHuddy said…
Don't get excited, it's gonna suck.

You can some news about it here: link

Info here: link

Basically, Raoul is a drunk who beats up Christine, Christine has Erik's baby and Erik (possibly) dresses up as a clown and (definitely) runs a freak show. Not good.

last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
sad
Oookkkk...so does Christine know it's the phantom or does he like...rape her...AH I hope not and whats an automaton? It said Erick flees paris and makes love to an automaton that looks like Christine?...I dunno...All I can say say is THIS IS REALLLLYYYYY NOT GOOD! :(
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dragonrider said…
Okay I don't believe the plot. Andrew Lloyd Weber would never do that. He wrote the songs and play. why would he make a suckish sequel?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu dustfinger said…
blush
yeah he's smarter than that. He made the musical, he wrote the songs, and made the 2004 movie. Why would he want to write more songs?
I found out about this musical on his website andrewlloydwebber.com I dunno...maybe he wont make it, I mean people are pretty angry about it...Maybe he'll see that and let it go...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu FrenchHorn said…
crying
THEY CANT DO THIS TO ME!!! That would so ruin the movie, book and play! the whole point of that little part at the end of the movie was to show that Erik never left christine and its just kinda part of the mystery surrounding Erik that the only clue that we have is a rose on her grave and I love that! If they make a 2nd one I will see it but I wont love it no matter what!!!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu velvet_fox said…
crying
Um this thread makes me feel nauseous. WHAT THE
F**K IS ALW THINKING?

AUTOMATON? AUTOMATON? AUTOMATON? GOD I FEEL SICK.
WHEN I DIDN'T THINK I COULD GET CREEPED OUT BY E/C MORE!

And sorry but Raoul, that description of
him as a drunkard abuser is SO out of character
it makes me want to cry.

ALW is nuts, nuts. Why ruin such a classic?
I'm never going to see this. I'm actually teary at the thought.

OMG. WTF is this?
InsideMyMind commented…
lol don't worry, nobody makes cinta to an automaton... Raoul is in deep debt and turns to drinking as an escape. However, he doesn't abuse Christine atau do anything with an automaton. Nor does Erik. I wasn't too fond of the story line of cinta Never Dies (the sequel), but the musik was amazing. Hope anda found this helpful, though anda diposting this komentar over a tahun ago... lebih dari setahun yang lalu
tongue
Here's the Wikipedia article on it: link

crying
Urgh thanks for the link :) I read it and yep count me in as one of the fans who think that this will ruin Phantom. I wish I could be one of the fans who could "ignore it's existance", but I can't get it out of my mind it outrages me, so sadly I'm in the "outright hatred" group. Really I can't stop thinking how awful this to the point where I barely slept last night and when I did I had a dream about ALW!!! I was like up this hill overlooking Sydmonton, when suddenly the hill collapsed and fell upon ALW's house and destroyed it. Metaphorical dream much?

I feel so sad for how this is affecting me. I adore the original Phantom so much and it's like I'm watching two trains about to crash and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I actually think I'm going through the 4 stages of grief, I've denied it (or tried to), last night I lay awake utterly depressed - I even cried - and have barely had an appetite all day, and now I'm seething. It is so ridiculous. Yet Phantom has always owned my soul there is no other music I've listened to so much, no other music I cherish. I've never obcessed with anything as long as Phantom and it feels like ALW is twisting around my insides with a fork. I'm worried it's going to taint my view about the original musical I love so dearly, as anything reminding me of Phantom over the past day has just crushed me, outraged me and filled me with far too many negative emotions.

Then I realize it's just a musical and feel pathetic. :/

WHY ALW? WHY!!!!!!?
I know how you feel velvet_fox, I cried too when I saw he was making a sequel..For some reason, it just...well...hurts...The phantom holds a special place in our hearts and this blasphemy is just ruining him...
Hopefully ALW will see how much the phans HATE this new idea and he'll drop it, in fact I might make a group, ya know where you try to reach up to like a thousand members or whatever. Like those facebook groups...it should be called one thousand stong against Phantom sequel...We Will boycottin front of ALW's house! Mwahahaha! Okay maybe I'll just stick to the group or something thoough I have to get it all set up and stuff...
I think they have a petition or something...I'll try to find it.

Okay, that took all of 5 seconds: link
hmmm
OH thank the LORD! *rushes to sign* Not that I believe it'll make much difference, but still it's something at least! Thanks for posting it JH!

JB I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. Honestly I don't think we can change ALW's mind, he seems deadset on this, why? Well I think he's trying to recreate that original success because for so long he has failed to make a mark in the musical scene and I believe he's doing it to spin that money wheel. Not that he needs it. That being said if people do go in their droves to see this montrosity at least it once more raises the profile of musical theatre. That is the only plus side I see to this whole mess. Lol that being said if it's that bad and people hate it after seeing it might in the long run turn people off of seeing musicals so it's a bit of a double edged sword. :P
Okay, just some news. It will be opening November 2009 and you can buy tickets already. I just had a fresh new bout of rage/depression about this...so...

Oh, and people: THE PHANTOM IS NOT GOING TO BE GERRY! GERRY AND EMMY WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! (Okay, no one even said that on this thread, but on other sites *GRR*. Just killing the rumor before it starts.)

Okay, so technically the picture is talking about the movie ('cause Joel Shumacher's in it), but it still kind of works with the sequel thing.
 Okay, just some news. It will be opening November 2009 and anda can buy tickets already. I just had
crying
Okay. The movie was great I have to admit. Emmy was a great Christine and the Phantom was HOT but yet there was something missing with Gerry as the Phantom...But still he was pretty good and Raoul was good too:) Well I guess to me the movie was not really much of a screw up I guess but this musical seriously makes my stomach sick...and I'm serious it's so weird. Ever since I was little I loved the phantom of the opera. The first version I ever saw was the 1925 version but them I heard the Micheal Crawford and Sarah Brightman version and I just fell in love with it....and the movie too...but now...ALW is going to ruin it! So for me, there is not sequel no matter what ALW writes for the "sequel" to me...I'm going to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist...well...except to complain about it lol...It just makes me sick
Ok so I read some more about this sequel and Christine and Raoul have a son named Pierre! What kind of name is that?! And it says they don't know if Raoul is the father! I'm sorry but does anyone else seem to think that this makes Christine out to be a slut? Christine is NOT a slut! Naive? Yes...Slut? NO! Ugh! WHYYYYYYY?!
angry
'Tis the offical site: link
big smile
Oh, and I found this:
 Oh, and I found this:
Haha! Love the picture! This is just terrible! ALW is smegging nuts! I can't beleive this! OMG it came out TODAY! AH! This is REALLY breaking my heart! There is'nt much on the site...just comments from people...I dunno...I just want to SLAP ALW...UGH! He's screwing it up, even for himself...The movie with gerard butler and emmy I guess was ok...acting was terrible but ok...I GUESS but THIS! THIS?! This is too much! Ugh! I'm outta here...
Okay, I'm not sure where people got this...but I need to vent (this is the casting descriptions or somthing):

Phantom:
Caucasian man, 35 – 40. As mysterious as ever, but thanks to his new surroundings and the private assistance of old supporters, he now enjoys the seeming freedom to walk among “the normal” as an entrepreneur in Coney Island, of all places! In fact, over the past 10 years, he’s achieved a place of power and success. But he is haunted by a creative passion that once filled his heart. Must possess effortless gravitas and sexuality. Powerful rock tenor singing voice. Must be able to sing to top B flat. STARRING ROLE.

"Rock tenor"??!!! Oh, God, they're making it sound like Gerry! "He now enjoys the seeming freedom to walk among “the normal” as an entrepreneur in Coney Island." What? Walk among the normal? *stabs ALW repeatedly* Oh, and 35-40? No. Not 10 years later, sorry. "Must possess domineering gravitas and sexuality"? Sounds even more like Gerry. Oh, great.

Christine:
Caucasian woman, mid - late 20s. Now a semi-retired opera superstar and a mother, Christine is still gorgeous, iconic, elegant, every inch a star. Although she has a curious echo of sadness and distance about her, she must possess an equal blend of technical superiority and raw emotionality. Glorious soprano singing voice. Must be able to sing to top B flat. STARRING ROLE.

Mid to late 20's!!! AH! Statutory rape alert! THIS IS 10 FREAKN' YEARS LATER!

Raoul:
Caucasian man, 35 - 40. Christine’s husband. Now a functioning, stoic alcoholic with more than a glimmer of his previous self as an affluent and handsome aristocrat. A
beauty on the turn. Must possess domineering gravitas and sexuality. Powerful tenor singing voice, with an instinct for lyricism. Must be able to sing effortlessly to A flat.

Okay, at least they got his age right. First of all, he's not even a starring character? "stoic alcoholic"? This is like a bad fan fiction.

Meg:
Caucasian woman, mid - late 20s. Madame Giry’s daughter and a Coney Island fairground star. Gothic, mystical, unusual, sweet, charming, fun; has a broken baby-doll vulnerability, edge, sexiness, and a heart of steel. Strong mezzo soprano singing voice. A spunky voice, preferably with a raspy quality, up to top F sharp (top line, treble clef). Must be able to belt as well as sing with a lyrical ability when in balladic mode.

Um...I guess the age is okay. "Gothic, mystical"...I don't know about that...

Madame Giry:
Caucasian woman, 40 – early 50s. Intent on making things happen for her and her daughter Meg, while having attained the position of business manager to the Phantom. She thus feels entitled to prominence and distinction. She will make sure that nothing or no one gets in her way. Has much pent-up aggression, like a compressed Piaf, if you will. Solid contralto singing voice. A character voice up to D within treble clef.

Phantom's business manager? This is getiting more "fan-ficish" by the second.

Gustave:
Caucasian boy, 10 – 12. Seeking a child singer/ actor to play Christine’s son. Must have an ethereal, other-worldly essence (Think Tim Burton-esque or Britten’s “Turn of the Screw”); an innocent beauty; an off-kilter attractiveness and character. Preferably small in stature and preferably blonde. Strong boyish voice up to top F sharp. Must have good musical instincts and a keen sense of pitch.

Okay, if he's 10-12 and Christine in mid to late 20's...this is just so messed up...
WHAT?! NOW I AM PISSED...NOW I AM REEALLLYY PISSED! Why are they going to make the characters like this?! And why is Meg going to be gothic? and how the hell is the phantom going to be walking around town with a mask on his face and a deformity? People back in that time period would not be able to cope with that...and Raoul a drunk? I still can't understand this...Raoul was a VICOUNT thats a pretty damn important job...I mean what? He just totally went berserk and became a drunk?! And Christine...How old is she supposed to be? I mean her son is like 10 to 12 and she is supposed to be at least 20?! I dunno...ALW is screwing this up...I mean I want to see Christine with the phantom but this...THIS is complete rubbish! ALW is turning beauty into filth...The phantom of the opera musical was beautiful...And the way it ended was THE END! and thats it...why add more to it? Why would the phantom go bouncing aroiund new york and start a freak show? AND try and get Christine back if he let her go in the first place?! UGH! I hope ALW gets shot! And I'm guessing you don't like the movie huh? Even that seemed a bit on the crappy side...The phantom in the movie seemed young and sexy and didn't really have a deformity...They did it with the movie but this musical is REALLY REALLY BAD! Okay...I'm outta here...I need to cool off...
crying
J_B I pretty much agree with everything you said.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD: <---------- Me.
Oh I have tears in my eyes again. ALW is breaking my heart.
*feels so sad.*

Anyway I just read the book and honestly
right now I'm trying so damn hard not to give
a flying toss for this abomination of a musical.
My canon is that Erik is now dead,
Raoul and Christine are in Scandinavia somwehere
living happily together with their children
(if they had them) end of story.

Twisting the story to suit your particular ending
and forcing it down an audiences throat is plain wrong.
POTO I'll be saying farewell to come November. There's
no way I can stick around in fandom when it comes -
it actually hurts to hear even the slightest thing about it.

It's obvious who ALW is pushing as Gustave's father.
Which is complete BS. Sorry, but C/E never had sex. Would the
the kiss at the end of POTO even mean anything if they'd had
sex before hand? Um, no, this will render the beauty of POTO
hollow. God.

I want to go on an ALW witch hunt. Anyone want to join me?
I'll join, VF!! So, just a little more news (this is actually kind of old I think, but it's not on
this site yet): Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess are cast as The Phantom and Christine for the
previews, which will take place over the summer. I'll upload some videos of them. It's
rumored that he'll cast them in the actual sequel. I am like, deeply in love with Ramin now,
so I hope he does. Or, maybe not (I don't want him to be in something so suckish).
Yea I heard Ramin is doing the Phantom for the sequel. Ok, this is how I am going to take the sequel when it comes out...I'm going to ignore it and pretend it does not exist. To me...The Phantom of the opera is the only musical and the end is the end...Thats all, no sequel or anything. I wonder if that petition for the sequel to be put to an end will work or not...I hope so... I would love to join you in a witch hunt for ALW, EVERYONE GRAB A PITCHFORK! OR A STAKE SO WE CAN DRIVE IT RIGHT THREW HIS HEART WHILST HE IS SLEEPING IN HIS COFFIN!
From Wikipedia:

Recently casting calls have been put out for the roles of Madame Giry and Meg Giry.
The casting call for Madame Giry seems to imply that she may be the sequel's antagonist as opposed to Darius, who was the villain of the Phantom of Manhatten novel.
There are strong similarities between the character of Madame Giry and the character of Darius, for example both became Erik's business partner's whilst in New York.
They also are ambitious and keen to eliminate any obstacle that's in their way.

The character of Meg has also been changed.
In the original musical and later film adaptation, Meg is portrayed as being curious and somewhat naive.
The latest casting call sees a slightly older Meg in her twenties, who has been described as `charming` with an element of `sexiness` about her.
According to the casting call, Meg has accompanied her mother, Madame Giry, to New York and is now performing in Erik's freakshow.

Wow...Madame Giry and Darius are nothing alike! And if they have her trying to *SPOILER FOR "THE PHANTOM OF MANHATTAN* kill Christine and her kid, I will hurt someone.
hmmm
Oh, and I also found link. I'm not sure what to think about it. It's supposedly another sequel or something (Leroux version) by a theater company in Portugal. Wonder if that will ever become anyhing.
Ooookkkkk...Why would Madame Giry want to hurt Christine? She liked her and everything in the first one...And Meg...why does she have to be sexy? Ew...I'm sorry but this is REALLY going to suck...Why is ALW doing this?! Is it money?! Can't he write another musical?! UGH!
hmmm
Oh this is all so dire. I HATE ALW for doing this.

Just thought I'd post as I hadn't mentioned my utter disgust for a while. I can't even listen to the music anymore, it's all ruined. I sadly still feel wretched and heartbroken.
So now he's delaying it until Spring 2010 link due to having to re-record the music or something. So...that's...good? I guess. Or maybe it just prolongs our suffering...
*bump* This thread and spot are so dead.
tongue
Sorry I've been away, and phantom just keeps depressing me. At least there's a delay, maybe it could just have more and more complications and then never happen? Wishful thinking. Y/N?

Well, I would love for that to happen, but I think it's too far along for him to stop now. He already has all the media coverage and everything and by now it would be a big deal to have it not happen. *crosses fingers anyways*
Well hoepfully, ALW will change his mind...somwhat it prolongs my suffering that he is releasing it in 2010...(by the way the year I graduate) Ugh!, But then I guess I'm okay with it...I can still listen to the phantom of the opera...Especially The one wih micheal crawford and Sarah brightman...that one is beautiful...*Tear*...Like I've said before...I'm gonna ignore this sequel when it comes out...cuz it's total crap...I just...don't understand ALW...Have you read the book!? It is amazing isne't it? Gaston LEroux is probably rolling in his grave right now for what ALW is doing to the phantom of the opera lol...yea...I'm ignoring the sequel...the first one was fine...and yea at the end of the book the phantom of the opera, the phantom dies of a broken heart or whatever and Christine and Raoul I think...do go to scandinavia...or was it england?...I can;t remember...This sequel is just...CRAP...I just think it's making meg out to be some weird goth chick...and why are meg and madame giry in the sequel anyway?! Why are they with the phantom?! And they make christine out to be like a slut...or at least thats how I see it... And I thought he killed people?! Aren't people going to be suspicious?! and that mask...people are going to be STARING at him even more in Manhattan...Ugh...Well, I'm off...What about that petition to stop the making of the sequel? Do you guys think that'll work? I hope so!
crying
Doubt the petition will work. :(

And yea Raoul and Christine go off to Scandinavia to live happily ever after and have lots of litte lotties (lol) together. The phantom dies of a broken heart. That's canon. That's what happens in my phantomverse. Anything else made up by ALW is AU fanfiction at best. We all know he's just trying to spin that money wheel again.

Poor Gaston he will be turning in his grave. The dude was such a Raoul/Christine shipper too. Cos they are just love in the book! <3
Yeah, it the book it was Scandinavia and in the 1925 movie it was England. (Just watched that last night, by the way. Very good.)

R/C is love in the book! *sigh* You'd think with the whole petition and everything, he'd get the message that the phans don't want it. And he already has millions of dollars from the first one and all his other musicals...*double sigh*

So, now ALW is saying he's hoping for it to open in March of 2010.
Oh God if it's 20th March I'll throw myself off a roof since that's my birthday, and it would be the lamest thing to happen on that date since Britain delared it was going to war in 2003. D: D: D: D:

Please noooooooooooooooo.

Personally I think ALW doesn't give a flying toss about the fans or the storyline and its characters - he's just looking for the same success that the original POTO gave him. He's done nothing that can even touch the brilliance of that musical since, and just because he thinks he can rewrite the ending (to probably what he sees as a more popular E/C one) that he can emanate that success. Granted if he's partly doing it to get people back into musical theatre I have nothing but respect for that, but not at the cost of ruining the greatest musical of all time. FFS. I mean is automatons really going to drive young people in their flocks to the theatre?

Well I (rather strongly) say f*ck to it all. If he can't appreciate and respect the beauty of Gaston's and then his own original work then he's a rather stupid man. Why on earth does he even think he has the right to continue the story in his own way I'll never know. It's NOT his story to mess about with or extend. It's not his story to change what's canon.

Gawd I'm still as annoyed about this as I was months ago! :X
Well...I do think Raoul and Christine are good together but I and along with many others beleive Christine should have picked that Phantom...But thats just me lol...But I don't like this sequel...It makes NO sense. Why doesn't ALW do something else? Why does he have to do the phantom of manhattan? It pretty much is a fanfiction thing...some weird guy got it published...I dunno...whats his name? I'm never reading the book or going to see that abomination of a musical. Wouldn't ALW have to get rights to the story from Leroux's family or something? I dunno...just a question...At first I thought he was going to make a movie about it!!! Thank goodness for that...although the POTO movie with Gerard Butler wasn't that great anyway...I'm VERY annoyed as well...ALW is jerk and I hope this musical does so bad that it only lasts a day...well...a short period of time anyway...maybe a day is overreacting lol...The phantom of the opera ended the way it ended and thats it...leave the rest to the people on fanfiction to make a sequel...Did you know ALW was married to Sarah Brightman? She played Christine with the Micheal Crawford phantom...Anyway...ALW wrote POTO for Sarah Brightman...I guess thats how she became Christine in it too...I wonder what she thinks of it...They are not married anymore but they are still best friends...
Frederick Forsythe was the author...yeah, it's just that: a FAN-FICTION. It should never be turned into a musical and personally, I think all the copies of it should be burned. ;)

I think if Leroux's great-grandchildren(?) wanted to, they might be able to stop it. link.
hmmm
Yes I abhore book burning, but in this case I would be more than willing to make an exception!!
lebih dari setahun yang lalu snoznoodle said…
How could he do this?!? It's going to be like all the terrible classic disney movie sequels except a bajillion times worse! How could they make Raoul a drunkard??? I loved Raoul in POTO! He was a genuine man who just wanted to be with Christine! That makes Christine seem like an idiot for leaving the Phantom. Ugh this is completely messing with the everything I liked about the original! The reason she didn't stay with Eric was because Raoul and her were perfect together. It's what makes Eric's story so much more tragic and beautiful! HOW could he do this?! Alright. I'm just not going to see it. But! But! ...Oh man its ruining it for me!
kiss
Oh Snoznoodle!! WORD. WORD. WORD. To hear someone say positive things about Raoul/Christine..........I could kiss you. I will kiss you... in the form of a prop. :P

Seriously though it's like ALW is just murdering EVERYTHING I love about POTO. EVERYTHING. It's breaking my POTO heart, it is like ALW has stuck the knife in already and is twisting it round and round until the musical that must not be named debuts - and then he'll rip my phantom love right out. D:
lebih dari setahun yang lalu snoznoodle said…
Oh thankyou for the props!! I'm surprised how few people like Raoul! I know right its ruining everything I thought was beautiful about the original. Ugh! The Phantom was doomed from the beginning! It's tragic but completely necessary and the reason why I love it so much! Why ruin that?!
Exactly! Her going with Raoul is the whole point of the story! *gives props also*
I would love copies of Forsyth's book to be burned! Did you know in 1919 in Germany they made a Phantom of the opera silent film. Leroux was so disgusted by how they made it, he had all copies burned...people are still searching to see if they had missed any copies. So if Leroux burned that copy while he was alive...well if he were still alive...I'm pretty sure he'd burn ALW's sequel. Perhaps Leroux's family could put a stop to this? hmmm...sounds like a plan. :) I think the way the story ended with Raoul and Christine in the musical was the way it should have ended...let the fanfiction people write whatever the heck they want but not make a musical out of it! And I do beleive that the whole story was the TRAGIC love story of the opera ghost...and that's how leroux had it in his book and perhaps if this "the opera ghost really existed" business is true then...perhaps thats how history had it too...and I still can't get over how ALW has Raoul as a drunk...A drunk?...A drunk...Why on earth....is he....a drunk?....Does anyone know what a vicount is? I think I may have said something about Raoul being a vicount and it being an important job but that is what my mom says...Well I'm outta here...got to cool off from ALW anger...
A viscount is a nobility rank, below an earl or a count, and above baron.

link

Wow, I heard there was a German silent film but I didn't know he had it burned!
smirk
Can we do Gaston's job for him and burn all the new music for the new musical or something?

I'm imagining covert operations taking place by the PhanBrigade for the preservation and protection of Phantom of the Opera and it's original characters.
Well, his cat stared the job :) He got into ALW's digital piano and deleted the whole score. Unfortunately, that was quite a while ago.
tongue
LOL ALWs cat can be our mascot!!

I wish ALW had seen that act as the world trying to course correct this heinous mistake he's making.