Guinea Pigs I kinda need help

k9hatake posted on Jan 10, 2013 at 03:47PM
Well I have had my one guinea pig Muyaka for almost a year (January 11th). I noticed that while she was elated to see me every day after school and even though she was out whenever I was home she eventually started to get a little depressed. To try and figure out a reason on why she was sad I came across many guinea pig care videos. I knew it was best if I could have two and also knew it would be impossible to convince my parents. I then looked for other options. I was on youtube and was watching cute videos of guinea pigs. I had Muyaka on the desk and when the pigs in the video started making noises she would popcorn. For about a week I watched these and saw how happy she was after but she is smarter than you think and eventually realized they weren’t real and went back to being sad. On my birthday my mom and dad got me a new guinea pig of my choosing and I went to introduce them. I made one mistake. I didn’t have the room or money for another cage. They are in the same cage and for the first couple nights they bickered as expected. It calmed down and I was delighted to see that Muyaka let my new piggy Ginger sleep in the same little house with her despite it being a little tight for the both of them. After a while I bought one big igloo from Petco for them and that’s when all hell broke loose. Now Muyaka acts all weird and isn’t herself at all. She shares the house and cage with her but is being a little to dominant. Ginger is being submissive but it’s almost like Muyaka can’t read guinea pig body language. Is it possible that she doesn’t know how to “speak” guinea pig? She is about a year older than Ginger. Is it possible that since she was in a cage alone at the pet store and then being the only guinea pig for a year just about could have made her forget some guinea pig body language? I know it happens with dogs so could this be the case?

Guinea Pigs No balasa