doctor who Time Lords (new series, season 4 episode 6 spoiler)

harold posted on May 12, 2008 at 05:10AM
This forum thread is to discuss issues/questions raised by the new series' 4th season's episode 6 "The Doctor's Daughter". Please watch the episode first, so as to avoid the spoilers discussed here.

doctor who 9 balasa

Click here to write a response...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu harold said…
Having said that...did anyone else have questions about Time Lord Jenny? Biologically, she's a clone of the Doctor. Yet she regenerated into the same form/body, rather than a new one. Why is that?

How much of a Time Lord's abilities are genetic, and how much are acquired through training/imbued by equipment?

Since Jenny is a clone, does she still have 12 more regenerations (like a newborn Gallifreyan would), or just the three that the Doctor has remaining?

Do you think Jenny will find some more cloning technology (or some other method) and repopulate the race?

If the TARDIS acts of its own volition to save Time Lords (as was implied by the very quick throw-away explanation at the end of the episode), why doesn't it draw the Doctor to other times and locations to save other Time Lords (like, perhaps, all of them, one by one)? IF you want to be particular and suppose that the TARDIS only goes after the Doctor's progeny, why then hasn't it gone to save just his other offspring (which he implied, again, in the episode)? If the TARDIS has this will to save the Doctor and his kin, how is it that it never zips back to help him when it gets hijacked every other episode?

Do you think that there will be a later reveal to show that it actually was an external agency that brought the TARDIS to that location (like, perhaps, Jenny in the future, having realized the full legacy of Rassilon)?

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but both the TARDIS taking it upon itself to set the Doctor up to give birth to Jenny and Jenny reviving rather than regenerating are just sloppy writing that doesn't make sense in the framework of the series.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu efro said…
I always thought that time lords were seperate and superior to ordinary galifreyans, in previos series it has been suggesteed that time lords were trained.

I dont actually think that Jenny did regenerate, i thought it was similar to that moment in star trek were mr spock is brought back to life, she didn't regenrate life was being brought to the planet and ti was brought to her too, i'm pretty sure the purple smoke that came from her mouth was the same gasses the doctor had earlier released.

I've always presumed that the doctor did have children too as he originally travelled (in the first series) with his grand daughter susan foreman and he travelled with his grand daughter again in the peter cushing films. I nebver got the feeling susan was a time lord eith er once again highlighting the question of whether or not all gallifreyans are time lords.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DalekSec said…
Having said that...did anyone else have questions about Time Lord Jenny? Biologically, she's a clone of the Doctor. Yet she regenerated into the same form/body, rather than a new one. Why is that?

Is it possible that Time Ladies can choose their form? After all, Romana 'tried on' a bunch of different forms before she chose one.
That's an interesting thought. I'd always assumed that the difference was not gender, but whether the regeneration was a conscious choice. Time Lords, to my way of thinking, can choose to regenerate when they tire of a given body...it's just that the Doctor (as much as we've seen) has always regenerated because his body has experienced extreme trauma/death.

It's a good point about the terraforming gases as an explanation of how Jenny revived...very much like the Genesis effect from The Wrath of Khan/The Search for Spock. It's a little weird that the gases could be contained in one little ball like that, but maybe it's that old SF macguffin, nanotechnology (ooooh! ahhhhh!): the gas is actually reproducing itself in addition to changing the structure of the planetary atmosphere, geology and ecosystem.
That is exactly what i thought on seeing it! I really don't think jenny can regenerate though, i believe that the irony of the whole episode was the doctor's denial of the 'breath of life' he concluded it was just gasses there to make this planet habital and there was nothing miraculous about it.vbut there was! it was then very clear when jenny breathed it in and it did in fact giver her 'the breath of life'.

she breathed in the gasses and regrew with the planet, i think if she'd regenerated surely they would have used similar effects to the doctor's owb regeneration?
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
So you think regeneration is based on training? That and the earlier comments raise another interesting question: are (OK, were) Time Lords genetically identical to other Gallifreyans?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu unit said…
hey
im new to all this but why does the doctor not just create a Paradox Machine and go back to save the time lord race
...I suppose it's because the show producers don't want them around. There's no real in-world reason, unless the time mechanics have changed between the original series and the new series.
I think it would go against everything that this doctor has been portrayed as, he is shown to be noble and selfless he would never mess with time for such personal reasons.

in father's day eccleston's doctor says to rose (after she brought her father back from the dead) that didn't she think he'd wanna save his people but he cant.

Besides, knowing the good old timelords they'd probably just put him on triall for his crimes if he did it. They weren't big on messing with time themselves, they might not be grateful.

also, who is to say he could go back and save them. the whole race was wiped out, the master was so terrified he ran away and hid himself at the end of the universe. clearly if it were that easy to save all the timelords the doctor would have done it the first time round.

giving one soldier the chance to go back wouldn't neccessarily change anything for the better,
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu