Atheism A Helpful Atheism Spot Banner Change?

misanthrope86 posted on Feb 18, 2011 at 02:00AM
I dunno about y'all, but I am getting absolutely sick of people coming to this spot and telling us what terrible, stupid people we are and how everything we do is offensive to Jesus or Christians or magic beans or whatever.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about it. But I thought maybe a change in spot banner may actually go a little way to at least deter some of the haters.

Personally, I think a banner with link on it may be beneficial to the spot, as it offers people something to think about without being offensive. The current banner could be taken as offensive, so I'm told.

Changing the banner to something that has that quote is definitely a defensive move that we should not have to take, but it might make it easier for us to make our point when people come here to abuse us for our belief system.

It doesn't have to be that banner that I linked to, by the way. Just wanted to show you the quote.

Anyone have any thoughts about a banner change? Anyone have any thoughts on other ways to safe-guard this place from the people who want to yell at us?

Atheism 52 balasa

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 52

lebih dari setahun yang lalu KateKicksAss said…
Here's one. It'd have to be resized though.
I liked the quote on the one you linked.
 Here's one. It'd have to be resized though. I liked the quote on the one anda linked.
Or this one?
 atau this one?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu misanthrope86 said…
Ah... Yeah, those 2 would have to be radically resized...

The main thing I wanted to talk to people about was a banner with a helpful quote on it. I think that is the key here...
lebih dari setahun yang lalu DarkSarcasm said…
I like the quote on the banner you suggested, Missy. Maybe just posting a 3-option pick about it (keep this one, change to the new one, start a competition) might move things along?

I'm thinking maybe a motto change might help, too. I'm looking through some quotes now, since everything I tried to come up myself with included the words bugger off... I think that might send the wrong message. I'll come back if I find anything that applies. =P
smile
Yeah, maybe just a simple motto change will do the trick. Good thinking twin.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Ninja-Kitten said…
Whew I'm late posting on this!

But I think if we change the banner, we should stick with the plain, simple, white text on black theme. It matches and icon and it looks good.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu ilovereading said…
smile
^I agree.
I don't know who made this spot, but if we can track them down, maybe we could test all the potential banners for a day or so, then vote? Or if there's an obvious one that looks best, just use it?
...or you could just print-screen/copy/paste with Paint to see what looks best. =P
last edited lebih dari setahun yang lalu
lebih dari setahun yang lalu adavila said…
true haha
Mmkay so are we getting serious about a spot makeover now?

I honestly like the simple banner and icon. They're funny and lighthearted and don't specifically insult any religion.

The only thing I WOULD change is the motto. Perhaps something that indicates we're not all evil and we don't particularly care if they think we're going to hell?
Well here's my contribution for a banner.

We could put some text in that black space in a neat font, like "Atheism" or we could put a quote like "Man made God in his own image"

Or I could fill it with another picture of some sort :)

If you like this, I'll make a matching icon too!
 Well here's my contribution for a banner. We could put some text in that black luar angkasa in a neat fon
^^ That is what DarkSarcasm suggested: just change the spot motto to something like link. I think that quote really says that we aren't here just to be assholes and that we have the right to express ourselves intelligently.

Some people have argued that our current spot banner and icon are offensive because they both reference other religions instead of actively expressing Atheism. I personally do not think either the icon or banner are offensive, but of course, if the christianity spot had a banner that referenced Atheism, I guess I might get a little annoyed by that.

This forum has been open for a while now and only a couple of people really voiced an opinion about a change. I think, given the number of Atheist haters we have had here lately, we do need a banner, icon or motto that more clearly states that Atheism isn't about bashing religion and that Atheism is a legitimate worldview.
Just thought I'd link you to the link spot so you can see what they've done with the banner there, in case that sparks any ideas for this spot.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu Claudia4599 said…
I agree with @DarkSarcam! That would be funny/awesome!
I don't see how it would be funny, but ok... the icon, banner & motto follow you wherever you go when you're on a spot. Why not make it a friendly reminder of why the spot exists?
That is another awesome idea DarkSarcasm. Now get onto making one! *snaps fingers at her*
Har har har, but seriously, we would need to get on to defining this spot without being defensive about our beliefs...
^Yeah, good luck with that. ;)
We're gonna have haters no matter what we do, and although I think the S&S style banner is a good idea, it's not something that I think we should have to do.

It sends the wrong message about what we're doing if we have to defend before they attack. I think a placating motto but a banner with images would be nice.
hmmm
Yep, we have to walk a thin line between being defensive and being clear about what Atheism is. We shouldn't have to defend ourselves, but the reality is that people are running around here calling us demons. A positive message about Atheism (either through a banner or motto change) could help some people who visit this spot to better understand that Atheism is not satanism or anti-religion. Although I don't think its gonna do anything to prevent someone who thinks that Atheists are demons from attacking us...
*grows wings and horns*

Rawr...

I like your quote, I think it should be used for the motto with a purdy banner. Does anyone like mine or should I try my hand at making another one?
lebih dari setahun yang lalu caramelmilk said…
smile
I found this quote and I think it's really lovely without being especially offensive at the same time.

I found this quote and I think it's really lovely without being especially offensive at the same time
smile
Or maybe this one:
 atau maybe this one:
smile
Just because it's so true :p
 Just because it's so true :p
sunny
I don't know about the last two, some might still take it as an offense.
Not that some won't always found it as such.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu fanfly said…
smile
I think missy's banner is the best.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

I think it's a clear, noninflammatory statement that stands up for atheism without being derogatory towards anyone.

But why don't we make a pick asking everyone to choose between these banners? It's simple enough to get it changed once everyone's voted. The F4 can do it for us.
Yeah, now that people have made some suggestions, I'll make a pick.

That is why I like that quote. It covers any religion while not targeting any specific religion. While I like caramelmilk's banners, I don't think the quotes particularly help to send the message that we aren't picking on religion. And I'm not really that sure about the images used in Ninja-Kitten's banner...
sad
I'm sorry...
^ No, it's fine! It's just my opinion, and I have that opinion because I think spot needs to send a clearer message to the religious people who come here and shit all over us without understanding what Atheism means. Just from conversations around here, I think religious people see our references to god and get offended as they think that we do not have the right to reference their god. I just think that maybe a quote that positively describes Atheism would perhaps help outsiders see that Atheism isn't all about being confrontational with religion. The current banner and icon reference religion in order to make a point. I think perhaps we need to reference ourselves in order to make our point more powerful.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu fanfly said…
smile
^I agree.
I love the banner that Lexa (Ninja-Kitten) submitted, and I love misanthrope86's quote.

Lexa, maybe you could edit your banner so it has that quote on it? The Sex and Sexuality spot banner is an interesting idea, but wouldn't an explanation like that be better for a motto? At least in our case, :)
kiss
^The idea of Ninja-Kitten's banner with the god-dismissing quote sounds awsome. I am in for it anytime.
lebih dari setahun yang lalu adavila said…
last time we voted for one (we didnt have one back in the day) there was very few activity so we just chose this one but we can now vote link HERE
Okay here's the one with the planets and the atom.
 Okay here's the one with the planets and the atom.
And here's the one I just made that sticks with the simple theme.

I think white on black is nice :)
 And here's the one I just made that sticks with the simple theme. I think white on black is nice :
Guys...? Are we actually going to do anything about this?

I'm twitching for a new banner :)
Sorry, I said I was gonna make a pick. I'm trying to get it done, so y'all will have to hold your pants for a bit!
Mmkay, thanks :)
Centred text:
 Centred text:
And another one:
 And another one:
I feel like such a bother...
The first one (with centered text) is better. It seems more calm.
Its already added to the link.
Yes, I've seen it after commenting here.
I made a series of icons to match my banner, but they can easily be inverted to match a white banner.

Possible spot icon:
 I made a series of icon to match my banner, but they can easily be inverted to match a white banner.
Another one:
 Another one:
And another:
 And another:
And the inverse:
 And the inverse:
big smile
Love the one with the big A.
I made a matching one for mine too :P
 I made a matching one for mine too :P